Re: [xsl] 50 XSLT Tips and a Quiz

Subject: Re: [xsl] 50 XSLT Tips and a Quiz
From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:55:59 +0100

> XSLT Quiz: http://www.PerfectXML.com/Quiz/XSLTQuiz.asp

Dammit, I got 3 wrong! One was because I missed some missing quotes,
which is fair enough, but the others are a bit more contentious in my
view...

According to the test, the following is true:

  "We should use push approach (using <xslt:apply-templates>) for
  document-oriented XML, and pull approach (using <xslt:for-each> and
  <xslt:value-of> for data-oriented XML."

I guess it depends on how you classify document-oriented and
data-oriented XML, but I think it's just fine to use pull when
processing e.g. a bunch of table rows in an XML document, and I think
it's completely acceptable to use push when processing data-oriented
structures, especially if you want to make your stylesheet
maintainable in the face of changes in the source markup language.

Also, according to the test, the following is true:

  "XSLT 2.0 processors will allow result tree fragments to be used at
  the beginning of a location path."

XSLT 2.0 doesn't even have the *concept* of result tree fragments, so
how they're supposed to appear at the beginning of a location path,
I'm not sure...

Still, I guess that's still an A+ so I shouldn't feel too miffed ;)

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison