Re: [xsl] A few questions to the experts: functions, templates, loops

Subject: Re: [xsl] A few questions to the experts: functions, templates, loops
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 12:24:04 -0400

Juggy,

At 06:57 AM 9/6/2002, you wrote:
<possibly-off-topic>
I also encountered another problem in the meantime: Is there any free (as in cheap) application available, preferrably platform independent, that creates images from the font? I have to deal with asian fonts, and few people (of the western world) have those installed, so I was thinking about an on-the-fly font->picture generation.
Naturally, if there is no other choice, I will write one myself, but I am pretty sure that someone must have encountered this problem before :-)
What would you feel be a good way to do it? I was considering using SVG, since this seems to be a neat new - and closer to xml/xsl - way to do it, but if I am not mistaken, svg support isn't implemented in major browsers yet and requires the download of e.g. the batik kit?
</possibly-off-topic>

You're right, SVG isn't widely supported in browsers yet. But Batik has nice utilities you can run to create raster formats like .jpg from your SVG. Would definitely create pictures of your Asian fonts.

Given certain limits like no support for word-wrapping, you could even create the SVG from your source with XSLT -- which would make the question slightly on topic.

Cheers,
Wendell