RE: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options

Subject: RE: [xsl] xml-stylesheet p.i. and other options
From: "Chris Bayes" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:40:17 +0100

> Chris Bayes wrote:
> >Well if he had done it properly he would have used the media="print"
> >pseudo attribute
>
> Sadly not part of wd-xsl.

It is part of the xml spec not any of the xsl specs

> >There is nothing stopping you having 20 xml-stylesheets if
> you want all
> >with different media types.
>
> This is interesting.  How would this work in-real-life if you have an
> xml file with two stylesheet pi's - one screen and one print.
>  How does
> the processor know which stylesheet to use?

The user agent should use the stylesheet that matches it's media type
If it is a print agent then it should use the media="print" stylesheet.
Or a pen plotter should use media="pen"
Ie6 is a lot better at handling the stylesheet pi but I don't know if it
uses the media="print" when you print a page. But at least if you want
to print a page you know which stylesheet to use. There are a lot of
little print hacks around from when ie was useless at printing along the
lines of 1. get the stylesheet 2. create a hidden frame 3. transform the
xml with the print stylesheet 4. hiddenFrame.print()

Ciao Chris

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml