[xsl] Breaking a string into repeated elements

Subject: [xsl] Breaking a string into repeated elements
From: jon budar-danoff <jbudardanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings o helpful list members!

I have a problem to solve which is currently outside of my admittedly
small realm of XSL knowledge.

I have a file which is currently in XML-like format.  I have written a
stylesheet that converts most of it into a real XML format, but there
is
one construct that I just can't quite figure out.

The construct in question looks like this:

<ListOfItems>10, 20, 30, 31</ListOfItems>

and I want to make it look like this:

<ListOfItems howMany="4">
    <Item>10</Item>
    <Item>20</Item>
    <Item>30</Item>
    <Item>31</Item>
</ListOfItems>

Note that the existing <ListOfItems> may be delimited by either spaces,
commas, or commas and spaces.

I figure that I need to use some combination of substring() and some
other string functions, but am unsure of where to start.

Thanks, in advance,
jmb-d

=====