Re: [xsl] one line of xml to indented xml doc

Subject: Re: [xsl] one line of xml to indented xml doc
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:17:28 -0500

[Astor Rivera]

Thanks for the help, although I may not have explained what I really needed.
You did point out some redundancy I found later that evening.
What I was trying to transform is a single line of xml being output from a
C++ app,
I must then take it and make it a well formed document with a hierachical
structure
and the transform is being done using MSXSL.

It must remain generic as the output tags will always vary.

[Tom P]

Maybe you don't have to indent it at all.  If the xml is correctly
structured as it comes from the C++ source, it will work fine with any
ordinary xm processor. Therefore I assume that you want it indented so a
person can read it more easily.

It's not so easy to do good pretty printing of arbitrary xml, especially
without adding whitespace (like line feeds and tabs) to the text in places.
If your xslt processor isn't doing the job, there are a number of
pretty-prining stylesheets out there, which do varying quality jobs.  I did
one myself, and I image Jeni and Mike Kay have their own.

However, if you just want to look at the output once in a while, perhaps
while you are developing your application, it might be easiest just to use
HTML Tidy, which does a pretty nice job.  It's part of a number of packages
incuding Chami's HTML-Kit and XML Cooktop (both free Windows programs).
Tidy can be configured to work with xml input instead of html, despite its
name.

Or you can view the xml with Internet Explorer, which does a nice job.

If this is not what you want, it would be helpful if you explain what you
want to accomplish by indenting your xml.

Cheers,

Tom P