Re: [xsl] JDK14/JDOM: generating a DOCTYPE decl. in output?

Subject: Re: [xsl] JDK14/JDOM: generating a DOCTYPE decl. in output?
From: Oleg Tkachenko <olegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:07:02 +0200

David M. Karr wrote:

By setting "omit-xml-declaration" to "no", I thought that would NOT omit the
XML declaration.  That is, the XML declaration should have been there, right?
Not necessary if you are generating html.

So far, I haven't been able to get it to generate one.
oops, I didn't see the subject, you probably use jaxp and somehow override <xsl:output> instruction, which is only hint, as David pointed out.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "special meta tag for html (which you
suppressed ...".  Are you saying that if I used 'method="html"', it would
automatically generate a "meta" tag?
It should. See http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.html#section-HTML-Output-Method:
"If there is a HEAD element, then the html output method should add a META element immediately after the start-tag of the HEAD element specifying the character encoding actually used."

It is not doing that, if that's what
you're saying.
Well, the same problem as with xml declaration - something overrides your <xsl:output> instruction.

Oleg> And why you don't get doctype declaration in the output I don't understand, probably it's a kind of bug.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out.
All these 3 problems are steming from a source you have to figure out. Can you show us your java code and environment?
--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn International, Israel