Re: [xsl] xsl:number

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:number
From: Markus Spath <mspath@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:28:03 +0100

Nestel, Frank ISC 6 wrote:

We need to generate a fairly reshuffled version of
that as output (and with lots of layout, btw), i.e.

	<doc>
		<chap id="m">1. ..</chap>
		<chap id="2">2. ..</chap>
		<chap id="3">3. ..</chap>
		..
		<chap id="4">(n-1). ..</chap>
		<chap id="1">n. ..</chap>
	<doc>

The reshuffling depends on complex criteria and is content based. What we'd like to have is a monotone increasing number
for the output chapters, with hierarchical numbers for subchapters
(not depicted above). It seems like xsl:number is not an appropriate tool for that?!

did you try position() ?

The only solutions I can think of are either based on feeding
the output of one stylesheet into another one or on using xslt1.1,
i.e. builing an ordered nodeset first and processing this a second time, which is essentially using two stylesheets.