RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y

Subject: RE: [xsl] Need 3 good reasons why XSLT is better than JSP+Velocit y
From: Joshua.Kuswadi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:06:25 +1100

> I don't think XSLT is "better" than JSP for creating web pages, just
> different.  Here are some scenarios where XSLT makes sense:
> 1. The data is being transformed directly to presentation content, and
> input complexity (form submissions, processing of submit
> results, etc.)
> is minimal.
> 2. The site is content-oriented
> 3. The devs have some good tools (excelon, xml spy, etc.) for
> designing
> transforms
>
> Here are some reasons to stick with JSPs:
> 1. The data needs to have "business logic" processing done as
> it's used
> to generate a web page -- things like calling Java classes (or COM
> components, etc.)
> 2. The developers need significant control over how data gets cached
> in-RAM on the web servers (currently, no XSLT-serving
> frameworks that I
> know of make it easy to say which stuff should get cached and
> which not)

We've built a hybrid of a Java application which uses XSLT to do the presentation.

The Java to:-
 - enforce and apply business logic
 - create the XML data
 - cache XSLT fragments, then combine them together
 - a wrapper for the transformation

The XSLT to:-
 - decrease time required to change look and feel
 - present the same data as HTML, CSV (text) and PDF (XSL-FO)
 - create new content quickly and easily

Joshua

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its contents to anyone.