Re: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e

Subject: Re: [xsl] use cases for d-o-e
From: naha@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:22:29 -0500 (EST)

Quoting David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > That's a question only relevant for humans. Software doesn't benefit
> > from using entity references.
>
> quite so, the main use of the MathML entity refs is for two line
> examples to put in MathML tutorials. Once you get to real sized
> expressions being generated by machine to be read by other machines
> then they are more trouble than they are worth.

One of the reasons for adopting an XML notation is so that such
intermediate documents are human-readable.

I'm curious why the XML infoset didn't provide for unexpanded entity
references.  Aside from being parsed and serialized, the only other
operation they'd need to support is name().

I'd think it would take less time to implement this than to read all
of the traffic on this list concerning &nbsp;.