Re: Crossposting (Was: Re: Case of function names (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft))

Subject: Re: Crossposting (Was: Re: Case of function names (Was: Re: [xsl] comments on December F&O draft))
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 22:50:09 GMT

> You aren't! Crossposting is anti-social, confusing, and prohibited by
> the list guidelines.

yes I was aware of that (but did it anyway:-) however since as list
owner you've indicated that I shouldn't, I won't.

However the cross posting wasn't to a discussion list: the
xml-query-comment archives show it is almost all spam and no discussion
occurs on that list at all (who'd want to subscribe to that much extra
junk) The _only_ time any discussion happens is if the messages are
cross posted to a more sensible list (xml-dev or xsl-list).

It would be less anti-social to just have the discussion here, on
xsl-list, but as Mike Kay has often pointed out when people have
discussed techical issues with working drafts on this list, the Working
groups are not obliged to consider any comments that don't get archived
on the official comment list archive.

It was very noticeable with the earlier functions and operators draft
last year that messages sent to the comment address produced no response
at all, only when later the message was re-sent (rather than cross
posted) to this list did (quite helpful) feedback come from the document
editors.

So for this new set of drafts I've sent comments to xml-dev or xsl-list
(whichever seemed more appropriate) and cc'ed it to an official
comment list "for the record".

So what's to be done?

It is clear that no real discussion of the drafts will happen on the
official comment lists. If the discussion only happens on this list
then many WG members won't see it (and are not obliged to respond
even if they do). One could start a thread here and then try to
post a summary of the discussion to the comment list but it is hard to
do that and capture both sides of a discussion in an even handed way).

I thought in the circumstances that cross posting was a reasonable
approach but I'm open to other suggestions....

David