Re: [xsl] methods of inserting html into output?

Subject: Re: [xsl] methods of inserting html into output?
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:04:57 -0600 (MDT)

Steve Renshaw wrote:
> This inquiry is more inline with constructing a FAQ, but I am sitting
> here wondering about the various techniques one can use to insert
> html in the output. So let me ask, "What are the various ways of
> inserting html/css/javascript into the output

I would say, ask a different question.

You're not really inserting anything into the output because 99% of the
time, XSLT is not about serially pasting together a bunch of strings.
You are creating a virtual tree of nodes and then letting an outputter
automatically serialize that tree into a linear syntax like XML or HTML.

So your task, when you want to generate HTML, is to construct a tree
that you know will be serialized the way you want it. The question
should be "What XSLT can I use to construct a tree that will be
serialized as HTML looking like [some sample output]?"

   - Mike