Re: [xsl] Build unique nodeset when Key can't be used?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Build unique nodeset when Key can't be used?
From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:56:28 -0400

[J S Publications]>
> I have a <paragraph> element that can contain one or more <link> elements.
> Each <link> has a @type and a @id attributes. When @type='Figure' the link
> is to an image. I want to output each <paragraph>, followed by a list of
> pictures referenced in the <paragraph>.
>
> I have tried:
>
> <xsl:template match="paragraph">
>          <xsl:apply-templates mode="DoIt" />
>          <xsl:apply-templates select=link[@type='Figure']" mode="PlacePic"
/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> Which works but will repeat a reference to an image if a <link> with a
> given @id occurs more than once in the <paragraph>.
>
> How can I get a list with just one entry for each image? I can't see how
> you key, because key is a root-level element and so can't work with just
> the current <paragraph>.

Yes it can.  A key is declared as a top-level element, but it operates on
the context in effect when you use it.  For example, if you switch the
context to another document with

<xsl:for-each select="document('another_file')">...

then your key will index the other document.  Since <xsl:for-each> changes
the context, you could actually  have the key work with the current
paragraph.

>I have tried for-each but can't come up with a
> select that returns a 'unique' node-set.

Yes, you need the munchean method  or Ken Holman's new technique.

Cheers,

Tom P