[xsl] xsl:fallback, nodesets, and different processors

Subject: [xsl] xsl:fallback, nodesets, and different processors
From: "Matthew Jaquish" <mjaquish@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:58:08 -0700

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused by the <xsl:fallback> element.
Perhaps someone can help me out with a strategy for the
following problem. To make things easier, I have
simplified my XSL below.

I want to modify my template to use the built-in XSLT
1.0 nodeset support but also still support the older
xalan processor that uses the xalan:nodeset extension
for the same thing.

I am currently using a template that includes the Xalan
namespace and does the following by using a nodeset:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  xmlns:xalan="http://xml.apache.org/xalan"
  exclude-result-prefixes="xalan">

<xsl:template match="table">

  <xsl:for-each
select="xalan:nodeset($cellFilter)/table/cell">
    ....do some stuff here....
  </xsl:for-each>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

I want to make the XSLT 1.0 version [i.e.,
"$cellFilter/table/cell" instead of
"xalan:nodeset($cellFilter)/table/cell"] the norm and
the Xalan extension the exception. I tried, but the
fallback doesn't work within the for-each tag.

Should I even be trying to use the <xsl:fallback>
element here, or is there some other way to accomplish
what I want to do? I would appreciate any suggestions
or strategies.

Thanks,
- Matt