Re: [xsl] Capitalizing content of a variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] Capitalizing content of a variable
From: Goetz Bock <bock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:38:27 +0200

On Fri, Aug 10 '01 at 10:54, Mark Nahabedian wrote:
> At the risk of straying off-topic:
Why not :-)

> I'm surprised that the German ß is treated as a character rather than
> a ligature used in typesetting.  Does a German type "ss" or do they
> have a special "ß" key?
Yes we do, and we have keys for &?uml; (? in aouAOU), the paragraph and
the deg. And IMvHO they should be banned from the keyboard, but thats
just me (Unfortunately there are even companies that wound sell you a
normal (e.g. US english) keyboard here in Germany/Europa ... :-( )
> When school children recite the German alphabet do they include "ß".
Yes
> My point is, should "ß" be modeled as a character in language text
> or just as a typsetting convention to be employed in printed output?
Its a character in language text, there are words with different
meanings regarding &szlig; (sz and ss): "Ma&szlig;e" and "Masse" are
quite different ... the first one means size the seccond mass.

In Germany you generally use SS to capitalize &szlig; not SZ.
Captalizing the next sentence might not have the desired result (when
talking about your girlfriend): "Ich bewundere Ihre Ma&zslig;e" ...

But now we're offtopic.
--
Goetz Bock                                              IT Consultant
Dipl.-Inf. Univ.