RE: [xsl] XPath attribute namespace

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath attribute namespace
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:10:09 +0100

> I don't understand why the XPath spec says:
>
> "the namespace axis contains the namespace nodes of the
> context node; the axis will be empty unless the context node
> is an element"

The set of namespace nodes gives you all the namespaces that are in scope
for an element. It's not necessary to provide the namespaces that are in
scope for an attribute or for any other kind of node, because these are
exactly the same as the namespaces in scope for its containing element.

> How do you get to the namespace for an attribute node?

The same way as you get the namespace URI for the name of an element node,
by calling the namespace-uri() function. This will always be *one* of the
in-scope namespaces for the containing element; you only need the namespace
axis if you want *all* of the in-scope namespaces.

Mike Kay
Software AG