Re: [xsl] XSL to put node (and kids) into a comment

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL to put node (and kids) into a comment
From: David_N_Bertoni@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:30:31 -0400

>From the XSLT recommendation:

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#section-Creating-Comments

   "It is an error if instantiating the content of xsl:comment creates
   nodes other than text nodes. An XSLT processor may signal the error; if
   it does not signal the error, it must recover by ignoring the offending
   nodes together with their content."

So, I don't believe you can generate xml within a comment by using
xsl:comment.  You don't show the results of running your stylesheet, but
the fragment you posted should produce an empty comment.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Dave

                    Monte Kalisch
                    <MonteK@xxxxxxxxxxxx>              To:     "'xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'"
                    Sent by:                           <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    owner-xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx        cc:     (bcc: David N Bertoni/CAM/Lotus)
                    rytech.com                         Subject:     [xsl] XSL to put node (and kids) into a comment

                    06/01/2001 09:03 AM
                    Please respond to xsl-list

I want to translate some of the incoming XML into HTML, but comment out
certain things that don't make sense in HTML (yet still leave the original
intact)

For instance, I want this XML:

<input type="group" name="age" min="1"/>

to be transformed into this:

<!--<input type="group" name="age" min="1"/>-->

How would I go about doing this?  I have this XSL already, but it doesn't
seem to be working properly.  It recognizes the tag in question, but
doesn't

actually include the contents in the transformation:

<xsl:template match="* | text() | @*">
     <xsl:copy>
          <xsl:apply-templates select="@*"/>
          <xsl:apply-templates/>