RE: [xsl] XSL output media type

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL output media type
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:13:09 +0100

> I am using Xalan to convert XML to Text/HTML on a web server.
>  I want to
> output text from the web server such that the user is
> prompted to SAVE the
> text file onto his local machine.  I've tried specifying
> unusual media-types
> in my xsl:output tag but nothing seems to work.

Firstly, is the media-type from the stylesheet finding its way into the HTTP
header? This depends on how you are invoking the XSLT processor.

Secondly, are you using IE5? Because I've never worked out how to make IE5
take the media-type from the HTTP header seriously; it seems to use any
other mechanism it can think of in preference. For example, if the URL ends
in ".xml", it seems to assume that the returned document will be XML,
regardless of the media type.

Mike Kay
Software AG