Re: [xsl] how to use an xsd as an xml, or is it an include-problem?

Subject: Re: [xsl] how to use an xsd as an xml, or is it an include-problem?
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:08:07 +0100

Hi Rene,

Others have suggested how to merge the XML that you have in your
description with the XML Schema.  I just wanted to point out why what
you have isn't working.  Your source XML is:

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <document xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/1999/XML/xinclude">
>   <xinclude:include href="AX_VB.xsd"/>
>   <xinclude:include href="Descriptions_VB.xml"/>
> </document>

Now, as far as the XSLT processor is concerned, those xinclude:include
elements are just like any other element.  There is nothing built in
to XSLT that will go and retrieve the included files.  So if you want
to combine the two files like that, then you need to either use
entities to do it, rather than XInclude, or have a preprocess that
resolves the include elements and passes the XSLT processor the
resulting document.  If you're using the file in an application
framework like Cocoon, then you may have support for automatically
including files specified with XInclude, doing the preprocessing for
you.  Otherwise you could write a stylesheet to do it, or a SAXFilter
I guess.

Cheers,

Jeni

---