[xsl] XSLT Standard Library License

Subject: [xsl] XSLT Standard Library License
From: Steve Ball <Steve.Ball@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:18:53 +1000

As a follow-up to my announcement about the XSLT Standard Library,
I'd like to start a (hopefully brief) discussion about the choice
of license.  I hope my choice of license is as least contentious
as possible.

>From my point-of-view it came down to two options: LGPL or MIT/Berkeley.

GPL is out because most commercial concerns won't touch GPL'd
code due to its viral nature.

Although MIT/Berkeley style licenses are good from the commercial
standpoint (they're basically "anything goes, just don't blame me
when it goes wrong"), I know that some folks are not keen on
contributing
code under such a license.

So the choice of LGPL I believe represents a middle ground:
commercial use is OK, but changes to the library itself have to be
fed back to the project.

Does anyone have any dissenting thoughts on this?

--
Steve Ball            | waX Me Lyrical XML Editor | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |      XML XSL