Re: [xsl] XSL variable declaration

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL variable declaration
From: cutlass <cutlass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:22:57 +0000

<xsl:variable name="test" select="some_element"/>
or
<xsl:param name="test" select=""/>

either of the 2 will serve your purposes but remember

a) use the variable in conditions where u get the value of the variable from xml. the one constraint here is that a variable can only be set initially and not changed ( ex. u can't increment test=test+1), its one of the unique differences of xsl

b) use the param value when 'passsing' an external variable to your stylesheet, the technique for this is unique to each xsl parser, goto xsl faq for this http://www.dpawson.co.uk

to refer to that param here is an example that should work in any parser

<xsl:value-of select="$test"/>

thx for telling us the editor, but more important is 'which ' xsl parser u are using to perform your transforms and a more detailed description of your problem.

cheers, jim fuller

msujit@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi
 I'm workking with Spy XML 3.5. Can anybody tell me the syntax of declaring
an independent variable in XSL/XML
so that I can use it in fetching record from DB2.

Sujit.