Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:14:52 -0700

> I must admit to being completely confused by XQuery. It seems like
> reinventing XSLT but without XML syntax for programming constructs
> (admittedly a fair step to take). I thought that it might be that
> XQueries are for building XML from things other than XML, but the
> XPath-like syntax seems to imply that the source (e.g. database) is
> accessed as a node tree anyway. I feel sure that I must be missing
> something.

On my first glance, I have the same feeling.  I think XQuery should do more to
reuse the excellent work and practice already latent in XSLT.  I don;t have
time to read XQuery in detail right now, but it looks like another heavyweight
W3C spec that ploughs its own course to solution with not enough mindfulness
of, as Simon St. Laurent would put it "interlocking specifications".

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101