Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:28:48 +0000

Hi Steve,

> Would it be useful to take Michael Kay's "spec" for
> <saxon:function> as a strawman proposal to start with:
>
> http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/saxon6.2/extensions.html#saxon:function

That would certainly be another approach. I thought that pulling out
the design questions would help focus the discussion on the sticking
points and hopefully enable some kind of resolution. If people feel it
would be helpful to have illustrations of various combinations of the
options, then I could certainly put some together?

> I think clearly separating the specification of the abilities:
>
>   -> to statically define and statically
>      invoke functions in XSLT, and
>
>   -> to dynamically invoke functions
>
> would be useful. Some implementors may be interested in the former,
> but not the latter, or vice versa.

I do seem to be having trouble with terminology on this topic. By
dynamic invocation do you mean something like
exsl:function()/exsl:call()?

Cheers,

Jeni

---