RE: O(n) notation (and character padding)

Subject: RE: O(n) notation (and character padding)
From: "David Bergman" <davidb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:00:44 -0500

Jenni,

of course two algorithms can take considerably different times while
having the same complexity. Nobody has denied that.

Again, the complexity of an algorithm is the asymptotic behavior
disregarding any factor of a polynomial degree lower than the
complexity (I am talking non-exponential algorithms). Wow, this really
cleared things up...

What this means is the following:

1. The time to complete an non-exponential algorithm will for
   sufficiently "big" inputs be of the form 'f(x)*exp(x, n)', where x
   is a measure of the size of the input and f(x) is a polynomial of
   (maximum) degree n-1.
   The complexity of the algorithm is thus O(exp(x, n)).
2. The 'f(x)' can be quite big, so even the asymptotic (the "sufficiently
   big" part...) behavior can differ considerably.
3. It takes a while to reach those "sufficiently big inputs" (it might
   never happen, as is often the case for small examples). Up to
   that point, the complexity has little if any influence on the
   completion time.

In the XML case, the size of the input is often just the number of
characters in the file.

There is a bible in algorithms and their complexity. Actually, three.
They are made by Professor Donald Knuth, who is probably one of the
most intelligent individuals in this IT world of ours.

Have fun,

David