RE: [newbie]use of xsl:if {RE: XSL to handle display mutiple page s}

Subject: RE: [newbie]use of xsl:if {RE: XSL to handle display mutiple page s}
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:41:57 -0400 (EST)

>   I started working on XSL to handle display mutiple pages in
> HTML.  The
> idea I tried was simple, count number of records until max
> records per page
> reaches.  At that time, I close of the current page/table,
> add a page break
> and start the next page/table.  But such logic seems does not
> seems to be
> allowed in xsl blocks such as xsl:if.

It sounds simple, but XSLT isn't that kind of programming language. It is
stateless and non-sequential, so you can't count things in a variable and
take action when the variable reaches a particular value. Think in terms of
functions: how does the input relate to the output. If you want to generate
an object in the output that corresponds to 20 objects in the input, write a
template rule that reads 20 objects from the input and writes one object in
the output.

Mike Kay