Re: Oracle XML Book

Subject: Re: Oracle XML Book
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:18:40 -0400 (EST)

| I was going through the book "Building Oracle XML application" by Steve. In
| that book he says, one must use Oracle Parser and and Processor. I have two
| question. I'm working on the Xerces and Xalan parser.
| 1. Will I be able to work on the examples given in the book with these
| parser. ??
| 2. Can I have two parsers and processors installed on one machine and
| working fine ??????

The book goes into deep details on the Oracle XML technology
stack, including the Oracle implementations of XML Parser,
XPath engine, and XSLT processing. All of the example code
is written to specifically cater to the Oracle XML technology
stack. Many of the ideas would work just as well with
Xalan and Xerces, but the book does not specifically cater
to code examples of these components.

"Java and XML" by Brett McLaughlin (also from O'Reilly)
does not go into the XML and databases area deeply as my
book does, but it *does* use the Apache XML components
in its examples. Perhaps with the combination of the two
books you'd be all set.

That said, the Oracle XML components are high-quality,
well-performing, come in multiple languages, are used
by over 40 of our internal teams as well as many customers,
are supported, and are free, with free runtime licenses.
So they might be worth a look-see as well.

BC4J & XSQL Servlet Development Teams, Oracle Rep to XSL WG
Author "Building Oracle XML Applications", O'Reilly
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/