Re: indent XML doc based on spaces?

Subject: Re: indent XML doc based on spaces?
From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:18:34 +0200

You need to add a text node with a line feed at the end of each element
and .

This can be done modifying your template like this:

<xsl:template match="*">
   <xsl:variable name="varspaces"
select="substring($spaces,1,count(ancestor::node()) *$indent)"/>
   <xsl:value-of select="$varspaces" />
   <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
      <xsl:apply-templates />
   <xsl:value-of select="concat('&#x0A;', $varspaces)" />
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

Doing so, you are still sensitive to spaces and line feeds available in
your source document which can damage your pretty looking...

You may also want to display CDATA elements within a single line.

The following template does it quite well:

<xsl:template match="*">
   <xsl:variable name="varspaces"
select="substring($spaces,1,count(ancestor::node()) *$indent)"/>
   <xsl:value-of select="$varspaces" />
   <xsl:copy>
      <xsl:copy-of select="@*" />
      <xsl:choose>
	<xsl:when test="*">
          <xsl:apply-templates />
   	  <xsl:value-of select="concat('&#x0A;   ', $varspaces)" />
	</xsl:when>
	<xsl:otherwise>
	  <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space()"/>
	</xsl:otherwise>
      </xsl:choose>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>