Alphabetical Index Problem

Subject: Alphabetical Index Problem
From: Lee Goddard <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:53:36 +0100

I have a long list of data arranged alphabetically,
and would like to reveal parts of it as a user
types in a string, rather like an MSHelp index.

No problems getting the input, but the best I've
got so far with the scroll is to have many, many
hyperlink anchors, one #a, one #ab, and so on.
That, of course, whacks up the file length,
which I'd like to avoid.

Has anyone any ideas how XSLT can be employed
to ease the situation?  I've a feeling it
could be, but am lacking inspiration.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Lee Goddard