Re: to extract the longest string (fwd)

Subject: Re: to extract the longest string (fwd)
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:12:46 +0100

Rajagopal,

>I tested the following code in SAXON and I could not get the
>expected longest string, which is "cxxyycc".

What did you get instead?  Which processor are you using?

The template that I posted was a cut down one, just assigning the longest
string to a variable.  If you want to do something with that string (like
display it) then you have to add code to do that, e.g.:

<xsl:template match="table">
  <xsl:variable name="longest">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="row[1]" mode="get-longest" />
  </xsl:variable>
  <xsl:message>Longest: <xsl:value-of select="$longest" /></xsl:message>
</xsl:template>

When I do this, SAXON 5.4.1 gives me the message:

Longest: 'cxxyycc'

As does Xalan-C 0.40.0.

Cheers,

Jeni