RE: key() Re: Saxon VS XT

Subject: RE: key() Re: Saxon VS XT
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <TRA@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 12:38:41 +0200

> > Apparently Sebastian did not document his stylesheet.
> > There was a thread some time ago upon the topic of embedding
> > documentation within style sheets, for exactly this reason.
>
> I think it is very bad approach to 'solve' the readability problem
> with writing the comments.  Code should be self-documenting.

You are thinking of comments.  I was referring to actual _documentation_ since that is basically what is needed here.  We discussed ways to annotate a functional XSLT file in order to produce a new document which serves as the full documentation (i.e. what you ask for).  This annotation should be possible for each and every tag, and provide a fuller set of possibilities than just adding comments.

I suggest you reread the thread in the archive upto the conclusions.

> The language which *requires* usage of the 'tuning
> roadsign' has no future. 'Tuning roadsign' is for tuning.
> It is for 'computer'. 'Language' is for human beings.

Well.  Back when C was in its infacy the "register" keyword allowed the programmer to help the compiler.  When XSLT technology improves we can expect (while using a lot of CPU-cycles) to have the XSLT processor detect and apply such optimizations automatically.  Another example is the quality and speed of Java interpreters, at the cost of complexity and size of the interpreter/compiler.

The original issue still applies:  A 100% conformant XSLT processor must implement key(), in the same way that every C compiler today must recognize the "register" keyword.

--
  Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen   "...and...Tubular Bells!"