Re: XSL, Javascript

Subject: Re: XSL, Javascript
From: Paul_Dick@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:52:00 -0400

Modi wrote that he's having trouble with the follow xsl stylesheet:
<xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl">

<xsl:template match="/">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<LINK REL="stylesheet" HREF="http://sdangel03/glueconfig/styles.css" />
<script language="Javascript"><![CDATA[
function selbox() {

var var1= window.document.formAirPort.listAirPort;
if(var1.value == 'xxx') {

document.write('<xsl:apply-templates select=".//locationx" />');

}

if(var1.value == 'yyy') {

document.write('<xsl:apply-templates select=".//locationy" />');

}
}
 ]]></script>

There are two obvious problems here.  First your URI for xsl is outdated.
It should be;
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform".  Second,  I don't think
any of the
processors will know what to do with xslt code within a <script> tag.

Xalan will process javascript,  but you'll need to follow the documentation
on getting
things set up properly.  See the release notes.
http://xml.apache.org/xalan/extensions.html

Lastly,  I'm not sure if this approach will work.  You might need to used
named templates
for this.  I do not think that you will ever be able to have JS essentially
run transforms in
this manner.

Paul