Re: Importing stylesheets Precedence Info

Subject: Re: Importing stylesheets Precedence Info
From: David_Marston@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:25:23 -0400

Steven Livingstone writes:
>I have two templates. Template A imports template B. Both
>templates can stand alone, and so both have a match for the root.

If you are referring to entire stylesheets, as implied in your
subject line and in your use of the term "import", then you
should revise your approach. I suggest that there are standalone
stylesheets and then there are stylesheets intended for import.
You invoke an XSLT processor with the standalone stylesheet, and
it imports only "subsidiary" stylesheets. In your situation,
define B to be a subsidiary and have a new standalone stylesheet
(call it C) that also imports B. C handles the root node but may
not do much else if B contains all the pertinent non-root
processing. If some templates in A should override conflicting
templates in B, use the priority feature. In fact, you can say
that no template in a "subsidiary" or importable stylesheet
will have a priority above, say, 5. Then your standalone
stylesheets can be written to use priorities above 5 when they
definitely want to override. Priority numbers don't need to
follow any particular linear scale.
.................David Marston