RE: escaping '&'

Subject: RE: escaping '&'
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:45:42 +0100

> I need to include accents in a page written in Spanish. The
> problem is that I need to escape the special characters like "&" that I
need
> (for example "&iacute;"

Try to avoid thinking about how to generate the entity reference "&iacute;",
instead think about how to generate the Unicode character "lower case I with
acute accent", and leave the XSLT processor to work out how to represent
this character in the HTML output.

If you have this character in your stylesheet it will be copied into the
output. There are several ways you can write this character in your
stylesheet:

- use an ISO-8859-1 editor and type it directly, with the stylesheet in
iso-8859-1 encoding
- use a UTF-8 editor and type it directly, with the stylesheet in UTF-8
encoding
- use a numeric character reference, "&#xed;"
- use an entity reference, "&iacute;", and declare this entity in your DTD

Mike Kay