Normalizing string containing entities

Subject: Normalizing string containing entities
From: "Pierre-Yves Saumont" <pys@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:50:59 +0200

Does anyone know a simple way to normalise strings containing entities and
subelement ?

Using normalize-space on a string containing entities or subelements will
strip the spaces before and after every entities/elements.

Consider, for example, the following:

How can I normalize this into :

The answer I found in several books is that we should not have elements
mixing CDATA and subelements. If we apply this rule, it is impossible to
represent the real structure of text.

Any idea ?

Pierre-Yves