Terminology

Subject: Terminology
From: "Ben Pickering" <benjaminpickering@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:04:39 GMT

Hi

I have a question for the list, apologies if it sounds a little vague, but how to phrase this question is part of the problem itself...

As I read various XML specs, including XSLT, and especially the XML Schema spec, I find myself becoming confused by the terminology, and I get the impression that the confusing terms are not peculiar to those documents, rather, they are the language of a higher-level set of concepts that encompasses XML, among other things.

To take a simple example, the word 'schema' -- I have an understanding of what this means in the context of XML, but it clearly also has a more formal meaning, as it can be applied to database design as well. So what's the definition of 'schema'?

My question is, are there any books or online documents dealing with the theory of 'information stuctures'? Some kind of description of the ways in which information may be structured, and the advantages of doing it a particular way?

Regards,
Ben.

PS: I know the XML Schema 'Last Call' is currently under fire for its complexity, but I hope you see my point.