Re: Variables and inherited attributes

Subject: Re: Variables and inherited attributes
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 15:04:43 +0100 (BST)

> Passing the values down templates as parameters makes xsl stylesheets
> hard to read and to maintain.

Well XSL is by design a side effect free language, which means that if
you need to pass information from one place to another, you need to make
that explicit. Mainly the advantages of this approach are that it makes
programs easier to read and maintain:-)

Of course there are plenty of languages that are not side effect
free. perl for instance, or omnimark, or, ...
so if you don't like this approach perhaps XSLT isn't for you?

(I could mention saxon:assign but I won't as it is such an evil thing
breaking the purity of the design:)

David