Is Xalan C++ really that slow?

Subject: Is Xalan C++ really that slow?
From: "Mack, Daniel" <d.mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:11:22 -0400

I'm new to XSL and have recently written a stylesheet that performs a
transformation from xhtml to another format.  I'm using the testXSLT
application included with Xalan (C++ version) to perform the transformation
and it is incredibly slow.  In fact, a largish html file (say 250K) with
what I would consider average complexity takes 5+ minutes to be transformed.
IE 5 does a similar transformation in about 3 seconds.  Are there options
that need to be turned off for optimized transformation? Is it that testXSLT
is slow and I need to write my own app to interface with Xalan?  I just have
trouble believing that I'm using Xalan correctly and getting this kind of
performance.  Thanks.

--Dan Mack