RE: How to stream HTML tags included in XML using XSL

Subject: RE: How to stream HTML tags included in XML using XSL
From: "DuCharme, Robert" <Robert.DuCharme@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:11:07 -0400

>we have a XML document and want to add some formatting elements,
>like <bold> or better <b> which should show up in the generated HTML
>file.

If I understand you correctly, these would just be regular literal result
elements (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#literal-result-element). As elements
outside of the XSLT namespace, an XSLT processor would just pass them along
as-is to the output. For example, with the following template rule in your
stylesheet, the b tags will show up around the contents of the input
emphasis element in your output:

  <xsl:template match="emphasis">
    <b><xsl:apply-templates/></b>
  </xsl:template>

>I know we should not use formatting info in XML

Don't feel bad--this is part of the point of a stylesheet language: to add
the markup for visual presentation in specific forms of output.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii