Re: Printing XML reports

Subject: Re: Printing XML reports
From: Marcus Carr <mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 09:17:12 +1000

"Robert C. Lyons" wrote:

> I need to convert some XML documents into PDF.
> The documents contain financial reports.
> Currently, the XML docs are converted into HTML tables
> for display on browsers. My problem is that the HTML tables
> don't print well (i.e., report headings and column headings
> don't appear at the top of each page, a row is split between
> two pages, etc.).

I would convert them into the CALS table syntax and import them into
FrameMaker+SGML, then generate PDF from there. I use an API client so all
this happens from the command line or from OmniMark watching a folder.
You could export the document as HTML with the same process, giving you
your web tables. FrameMaker+SGML provides a very high level of
typographic control - much more than is available with an application
such as Word.

If you want the API client, send me private mail - it's free and
unsupported, but well tested over numerous real projects.

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx