Re: Ignore childs

Subject: Re: Ignore childs
From: Steve Tinney <stinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:06:42 -0500

> You want to get an element value non-recursively, don't you?
>
> I have tryed it before, too. But I reached a conclusion that it is
> impossible without DOM program. (If this conclusion is not right, I
> also want to know the way.)

Can you give a precise statement or specific example of what it is you
believe to be impossible?  The XPath 'element/child[1]' gets the value
of the first child of element; isn't that non-recursive retrieval of an
element value?  Claims that it is impossible to access an XML tree with
sufficient specifity using XPath/XSLT need to be quite carefully backed
up in this arena.  Or they need to be carefully qualified by reference
to some deficient implementation of XSL which is nowadays not considered
worthy of the name.

 Steve