xsl for formatting

Subject: xsl for formatting
From: "violet wright" <xsl9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 01:28:49 GMT

As someone who works with creating web pages with a stronger emphasis on "formatted content" vs database applications, I find xml and dtd's a relatively ingenious invention, however, as of yet, I see very little in xsl that bring the other two (xml & dtd's) "to life".

Should I conclude that xsl is not useful for formatting and that that is not its intended purpose?

I have quite a few excellent books from which I am now fairly capable in xml and dtd's. However, these same books provide limited examples of xsl as a formatting tool. Some of the tutorials on the net for xsl seem to concentrate on the database benefits, rather than formatting.

I'm aware of examples where formatting is included as html, or css, which if "xsl is to supercede", surely most accomodate those of us who do not work with mega databases.

My questions therefore are multiple:

1) Should those of us who work primarily 'creatively' forget about xsl and stick to css and html?
2) Are there any 'complete' examples of xml using xsl primarily for formatting, that anyone knows of, that are IE5 renderable?

I realize there is much I need to learn, and even more confusion I have to sort, however, if anyone can clear some of this up, it would be much appreciated. My e-mail address is vanbc39@xxxxxxxxxxx

<!--The books I mention, which I have spent a considerable small fortune on (!), are as current as what is available presently. -->