Re: XSLT vs Omnimark

Subject: Re: XSLT vs Omnimark
From: Rick Geimer <Rick.Geimer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 14:36:32 -0800

I use both, but I tend to stick with OmniMark for anything complex. Here
are some pros and cons as I see them:

OmniMark Pros:
	Built in regular expression language
	Support for DTDs
	Complete control over the output
	Support for SGML as well as XML
	Fast

OmniMark Cons:
	Proprietary language
	Ignores some wellformedness errors in XML that are legal in SGML
	Will probably never be implementable on the client side (i.e. in a
browser)
	Syntax can be a little confusing to newcomers

XSLT Pros:
	Random access to the entire tree
	Non-proprietary language with many evolving implementations
	Implementations are appearing on both the client and server side

XSLT Cons:
	No regular expressions
	Current implementations tend to be a little slow (this is improving,
though)
	No support for DTDs
	Variables that don't vary
		- (I know this is by design, but it is a pain sometimes)
	Syntax can be a little confusing to newcomers

Basically, I like XSLT for the most part, it allows me to do 95% of what
I need to do fairly easily, but trying to accomplish that last 5% of a
complex job is a real pain, or in some cases virtually impossible.

This is probably because the focus of XSLT doesn't meet my needs. XSLT
is a tree transformation tool, and it is very good at what it does, but
if you need to do more than just move nodes around, you would be better
off looking elsewhere at this time.

This is just off the top of my head, and is only my opinion, so don't
flame me if you disagree :-).

Rick Geimer
National Semiconductor
rick.geimer@xxxxxxx