Re: Java performance (Saxon)

Subject: Re: Java performance (Saxon)
From: Niclas Hedhman <niclas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 10:38:08 +0800

Kay Michael wrote:

>                    A         B         C         D       E
> Saxon 5.2, Sun     9.4       15.9      19.3      20.1    5.3
> Saxon 5.2, MS      4.9        9.5      11.8      12.9   20.0
> Saxon 5.3, Sun     7.3       12.3      18.4      18.0    5.8
> Saxon 5.3, MS      3.1        5.2      19.0      10.8   19.8

Is this with the JIT enabled?? I bet it was. Very common to see these kind of
results.

What happens if you turn it off?

I believe that the figures will be much more stable, and pointing in the same
direction. JIT compilation has a tendency to have various speed improvements.
And there is also the fact that the compilation takes time, and I believe that
the whole chunk is not compiled in one shot, meaning that when you have
introduced new code, one JIT compiler might have some additional overhead for
that section while the other has not.

And Bill, HotSpot would probably barely get started by the time the execution
is over ;o)

Niclas