RE: JavaScript

Subject: RE: JavaScript
From: "Hunter, David" <dhunter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:46:21 -0500

From: Hunter, David [mailto:dhunter@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2000 1:32 PM

> (Of course, even if this is right, the question remains how
> this will get
> treated with XHTML.  Why don't I go and see if the spec says
> anything on
> this subject...)

The HTML 4.01 spec does indeed provide for putting SGML comments inside a
<script> element, and gives examples on how to do so for JavaScript,
VBScript, and TCL.

The XHTML 1.0 spec doesn't seem to comment on this, except to say that "&"
and "<" characters must be escaped, or enclosed in a CDATA section.

I'm thinking that this is one potential area where XHTML might break older
browsers, unless all script is included in external files.