RE: Character entities

Subject: RE: Character entities
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 10:06:00 -0000

> Character entities continue to haunt me...
>
> With the output method set to "xml", however, references
> to certain character entities result in garbage.

Technically there is no such thing as a character entity.

> I've tried everything I can think of, but even putting the entity
> declarations in the XML instance makes no difference.

If you want output that is legible in a text editor, try setting
xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-1"

The way characters are output (e.g. as hexadecimal or decimal character
references, entity references, etc) is entirely at the discretion of the
XSLT processor, so in queries about output format you need to say which
processor you're using. In fact it doesn't do any harm to say so for ANY
enquiry to this list.

Mike Kay