Re: Combining XSL with DTDs

Subject: Re: Combining XSL with DTDs
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 11:18:28 +0000

Lisa--

So far so good. BUT...

At 06:44 PM 2/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm still confused here.  I though I had done that like in the following:

><xsl:for-each select="AddressLine2" />

Here, something like

<xsl:for-each select="OE/AddressOERole/AddressLine2">
  <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:for-each>

Would likely work better. It:
* selects the nodes you are targetting relative to the
  context node (in this case, the root node), through an XPath
  expression, and
* applies templates for each of the child nodes of the selected
  nodes (which happen to be text nodes processed by the default template --
  which you may have to include explicitly if you are using IE,
  one of several IE traps!)

>and
>
>-<td width="134">
>-<p>
>color="#000000">
><xsl:value-of select="AccountName" />

In this case, <xsl:value-of select="OE/AccountOERole/AccountName"/>
would do it. Again, the node is selected relative to a context node
(still your root node). If I've botched it and the root is not your context
node, alter your select attribute values accordingly.

This is pretty basic XPath stuff, and it's somewhat difficult to get you on
track on the list, mainly because there come to be larger stylesheet design
issues (viz.: writing everything relative to the root node template is not
always the best approach) that, in turn, are based on a core understanding
of the way templates work. Keep working with this and with the resources,
and you should come to an "Aha!" point -- then it will all make sense and
be much easier.

If you have further questions, why don't we take them off list? A good look
at E.R. Harold's chapter on XSL at

http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/14.html
(from his XML Bible, also recommended)

might be helpful to you and any other readers who are still mystified by this.

-- Wendell