Re: multiple stylesheet for an XML file

Subject: Re: multiple stylesheet for an XML file
From: Richard Lander <rlander@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:43:22 -0500 (EST)

 Hello,

I've got an idea. Why not make your default stylesheet a really short one
that displays a HTML forms pulldown-menu or scroll-box that displays the
available stylesheets. I'm not sure off-hand if IE5-XSL can pick out
processing instructions. If not, you can hard-code the stylesheets into
the code. From there, you can choose the stylesheet you want among many,
and then use the DOM to load and execute that chosen stylesheet. Assuming
that IE5-XSL will allow the first part, I don't think it would be very
hard to do.

Another way of doing it would be to include that code in your regular
default stylesheet, and display the above idea if multiple stylesheets
exist, and display your document regularly if the regular default
stylesheet was the only one. Sounds good to me.

On that note, I've got a question. I know that it is easy to dynamically
load an XSL stylsheet, but is there a way to do the same with CSS
stylesheets? So, could CSS stylesheets be among the listing, as described
above?

Sounds good,

Richard.

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Larry Mason wrote:

> I am using a servlet to process XML via XSLT.  With this approach I can either
> pass in the stylesheet to use or a parameter to a single styslesheet with has
> several internal transformations.  This gives me the one XML to many XSL you
> seem to be looking for.
> Of course it means server-side only processing but then that lets me cover all
> browsers (and network appliances).
> Larry
>

> david <david.mas@xxxxxxxxxx> on 12/03/99 08:22:01 AM
>
> Please respond to xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> To:   xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> cc:    (bcc: Larry Mason/Dallas/US/i2Tech)
> Subject:  multiple stylesheet for an XML file
>

> when an XML file is accessed in the internet, the usal way to associate
> a stylesheet is the <?xsl-stylesheet ...?> tag.
>
> But what if I want to assiociate more than one stylesheet to the XML
> file, depending of the URL. Copying the XML file and changing the link
> to the stylesheet is not a satisfying solution...
>
> Isn't it possible to have "fake" XML file with just the <?xsl-stylesheet
> ...?> tag and a link to the XML data file ?
>
> Or to assiociate the stylesheet dynamicly with an arg passed througth
> the URL

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<INFO>
<NAME>Richard Lander</NAME>