Re: Transforming HTML to WML

Subject: Re: Transforming HTML to WML
From: "Oren Ben-Kiki" <oren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:57:47 +0200

Peter Stark <stark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Surfing "normal" HTML pages has never been an interesting enough use case.
> You don't *want* to see the same page on your phone as you see on your PC.
> On the PC you expect a lot more, on a phone you just want the information
> you are looking for (no more and no less).

"Just the information you need". I like it :-) If this becomes popular, I'd
be most interested in a WML client to install on my PC. Bandwidth today (at
least in this part of the world) is such that all the useless bells and
whistles people put in web site are more annoying then entertaining. Using
Lynx isn't quite it; the HTML pages aren't designed for such "dumbing down"
and besides, I'd still like to see a bitmap display with better font
support, minimal color use, etc. WML might be just the thing.

Have fun,

    Oren Ben-Kiki