RE: MIF output from XT

Subject: RE: MIF output from XT
From: crism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Christopher R. Maden)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 02:49:43 -0800

[Didier PH Martin]
>If you choose to use DSSSL to transform XML into MIF then you'll have to
>work with intermediary formatting objects like you would do with XSL
>formatting objects.

Unless, of course you don't.  Sotiris was trying to generate MIF code
directly ('<MIFFile 5.50>', etc.) from XSLT, as I generated it directly in
the O'Reilly system whose URL I posted (by (ab)using the SGML back-end).
Generating MIF from [formatting|flow] objects *requires* a MIF back-end,
which AFAIK doesn't exist for any XSL implementation.

>DSSSL is not necessarily better than XSL nor is the
>contrary but the main DSSSL engine named OpenJade which is the result of an
>international team effort has a MIF backend plug-in as well as a RTF, SGML,
>TeX backend plug-in.

Which was my point.  To generate untagged MIF, you can use DSSSL FOs and
let Jade's MIF back-end do the hard work (string escaping etc.) for you; to
generate tagged MIF, you can use Jade's SGML back-end and the MIF
generation routines whose URL I posted.

Follow-ups should probably be sent to dssslist.

-Chris

--
Christopher R. Maden, Solutions Architect
Exemplary Technologies