Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI

Subject: Re: XML/XSL on the client for dynamic UI
From: zun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:41:53 -0400 (EWT)

Hi Lou, everyone,

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Lou Colon wrote:

> It has been my experience that XSLT (tested with various transformers) can
> be a bottleneck on a high-volume web/app server.  The combination of XML and
> XSL to generate HTML on a server can take about 1 second.  This makes it
> difficult to handle millions of page requests daily. Thus, it would be ideal
> to let the client do the transformations, rather than the server. This
> distributes the required processing much better.

Yes, I wasn't suggesting not to do it on the client side, rather that if
you want to apply XSLT now, it's best done on the server side.  Hopefully
when the browsers get XSLT it will then be straightforward to offload that
processing.

I don't know what your setups are, but my XSLT transforms using XT take
much much less than a second, but then our servers have gobs of RAM.
You are right though that it is fairly expensive compared to other current
alternatives.  Implementing caching and load-balancing to scale helps out
a great deal.

Another thought that just occured to me is that I suppose you could take
XT and use applet installers* (not applets) to run it on the client side.
Anybody try that tack?

. . . Sean.

* see for example
PVCj 1.0.1- Client Side Caching for Java Plugin http://www.pssg.com/pvcj
and another commercial product which escapes my mind at the moment