Re: replacing characters in a string

Subject: Re: replacing characters in a string
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:51:47 -0400 (EST)

At 15 Oct 1999 14:39 -0700, Christopher R. Maden wrote:
 > [Edd Dumbill]
 > >This looks like a task XSLT doesn't do very well.  Does anyone's XSLT
 > >processor have a regex extension function in it?  If not, looks like one
 > >that would be a welcome addition...
 >
 > As already noted, there is an intention to provide regexes in the future.
 > However, there's the problem that XSLT is fully internationalized.  What
 > does an international regex look like?  How does it handle combining
 > characters and ranges?  Given that we haven't figured out
 > case-insensitivity yet, I wouldn't hold my breath for regexes.

These are not uncharted waters. Unicode Technical Report #18, "Unicode
Regular Expression Guidelines",
(http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr18) outlines three levels of
regular expression support. Furthermore, the next versions of Perl and
ECMAScript will provide regular expression extensions for Unicode
characters, plus the current version of Tcl has some Unicode regular
expression support and provision for more.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632